Were you aware that Human Trafficking is an AMERICAN problem? Between 100,000 and 300,000 children in the U.S. are at risk for sex trafficking each year. For more information on trafficking here in the US, visit: http://www.cargo-usa.org/learn-more
To get a good picture of the reality of human trafficking/child prostitution in Nepal and India, I would recommend:
- The movie Slumdog Millionaire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzbwV7on6Q). I’ve been told that it’s actually quite true-to-life, not some Hollywood adaptation.
- The book Sold by Patricia McCormick (www.amazon.com/Sold-Patricia-Mccormick/dp/0786851716). An easy read, it is a powerful and poetic journal of a 12 year old little girl who goes from her life in the rural mountains of Nepal to the brothels of India.
- If you are feeling a bit crazy, you might try the movie Taken (www.takenmovie.com), which is a thriller (kinda violent, just be forewarned.. not for everyone) that shows a bit more about the sex trade around the world.
- I’ve been told about the film Born Into the Brothels, as well, but I am watching that this weekend.. will let you know how it goes!
- Check out Mary Ellen Mark, a photographer who published the book Falkland Road after living in the red light district in Mumbai with the prostitutes who live there (http://www.maryellenmark.com/frames/falkland.html).